Hermann Muthesius (1861-1927), the renowned architect and theoretician, was Kaiser Wilhelm II’s former cultural and technical attaché to the German Embassy in London and a central founder of the Deutsche Werkbund. He
authored numerous books including Das englische Haus, which remains “without equal” today. Muthesius believed that “architecture is the Mother
of the Arts”. Muthesius felt, if executed properly, an architectural work
will speak “an eloquent language beyond the spirit of its time”. Although
known mostly for his revered residential villas, Hermann Muthesius completely
redesigned the commercial building, which had been originally built by
C.S. Schwenke in 1867, from 1912 to 1913 for the famous fashion house Kersten
and Tuteur. Muthesius sought to execute classicism built on “Sachlikeit”
– simplicity and sincerity, insisting on universality and eternal standards,
but without imitation. The Tuteur Haus building exudes handsome elegance
and clear consciousness of form fulfilling functionality, comfort and health
given its sensible configuration, natural layout, air and light. Its three
large corner display windows were a design that had never been seen before.
The restoration of Tuteur Haus preserves Muthesius’ leadership in architectural
thought and the overall Community of the Arts.